• Just back from a very snowy and icy week up in Northumberland.

    The truck performed well but after one very cold night in the hills and snow (down to -10 Deg C) It fluffed a bit on startup. It was nothing serious and within seconds the truck was idling normally but it made me think about reliable startup in even colder temperatures.

    And so, I'm currently thinking of trying to recommision the standard-fit Start Pilot system - or working out a way to feed the air filter housing / intake manifold with blown hot air from our hab-box heater(s).

    Read more...
  • I managed to source the manufacturer approved repair and fitted it. Here's hoping...

    Read more...
  • Just back from a 4,200 mile trip to the Baltic States, which took in a lot of poor roads, especially in parts of Poland, Lithuania and Latvia. Some of the roads we encountered in Lithuania and Latvia had long and deep washboard sections - tough on any vehicle.

    The trip blog can be viewed here if anyone is interested.

    The truck performed extremely well and only threw up one issue. It’s an issue that’s raised its head before and revolves around the exhaust. Failure of exhaust mounting brackets and the section of the standard-fit flexible bellows just downstream of the manifold is well known: even new trucks in active service suffered a lot. The flexible section was eventually replaced by a solid piece of pipe and different silencer mounting bands were used, presumably to try to take some stress out of the weaker parts of the system.

    On this trip the mounting bracket that attaches to the gearbox (6) worked loose so I added a couple of spring washers and retightened. That seemed to sort that but with only three days of the trip remaining the flexible bellows section (c) developed a small leak. This wasn’t a showstopper and only made a slight woofling noise at certain revs. I’m currently on working out the best way to proceed.

    Regarding the oversized tyres that I’ve written so much about in recent times. During a slow day when we were marking time in Sweden I changed a front wheel for the spare, basically to make sure I could do the job on my own with only tools we carried on the truck. All went well but the ‘spare’ wheel definitely gave a different drive. It returned us to the kind of unpleasant wobbles that we’d experienced with the original 12 inch tyres. It’s really odd as - like with the 12s - the problem was intermittent. As with the 12s, whether this problem is caused by a balancing issue or whether the spare tyre is slightly ‘squared’ I don’t yet know…

    Read more...

Tweaks and fixes are an ongoing part of the project. This series of pages form a blog - of sorts - and is intended to give a flavour of the day-to-day realities of living with the truck as issues crop up and tweaks and fixes progress. Many of the posts eventually end up getting written up properly and included in the main body of the Trip Truck site; so if you think you have read any of the older posts somewhere else, you almost certainly have.